SAFELY COLLECT WELDING DUST, FUMES AND SMOKE
Capturing the dust, smoke and fumes generated during welding presents a unique challenge. Removing fumes from the space, when floor space is typically at a premium, requires proper design and coordination to meet the facility’s needs. By combining guidelines found in the ACGIH “Industrial Ventilation: A Manual of Recommended Practice for Design” with our in-field experience and state-of-the-art filtration, Camfil APC will correctly size a cost- and space-saving welding fume collector system that is reliable, durable and easy to maintain. Let us help you put in a safe dust and welding fume collection system.
Health Problems from Welding Fumes and Smoke
OSHA defines the permissible exposure limit (PEL) for various materials. It is imperative to follow OSHA exposure guidelines for these and other metals, particularly where workers are at risk for long-term health effects.
- Metal dust particles in welding fumes are a leading cause of eye irritation, upper respiratory infections, coughs and headaches.
- Manganese in welding wire causes weakness, fatigue and headaches. Chronic overexposure leads to “manganism” which causes neurological and neurobehavioral problems. Learn more about OSHA PELs here.
- Hexavalent chromium (hex chrome) is a carcinogenic substance produced when welding stainless steel and other metals that contain chromium. Overexposure can cause upper respiratory damage, eye and skin irritations, rashes, allergies, contact dermatitis, sinus irritation, nosebleeds, stomach and nose ulcers, chest tightness, wheezing and shortness of breath. Long-term exposure can cause lung cancer and injury to the eyes, skin, liver and kidneys.? The current OSHA PEL for hex chrome is extremely stringent compared to other materials.
- Zinc oxide is produced when welding galvanized steel. Exposure can cause “metal fume fever,” a short-term illness with severe flu-like symptoms. It is often confused with regular influenza and often goes undiagnosed.
THE GOLD SERIES X-Flo INDUSTRIAL DUST COLLECTOR
The modular Gold Series X-Flo (GSX) dust collector was engineered to rid facilities of welding fumes with a minimal footprint.
- Respiratory Health — A well-designed and maintained dust and fume collection system prevents respiratory problems and keep facilities in compliance with current air quality requirements.
- Maintenance — The equipment that fabricating plants currently use has reached a new level of sophistication. Controls and other computerized systems are more sensitive than the machinery of 10 or 20 years ago. If welding fumes are not managed properly, electronic controls can fail, shutting down operations and requiring emergency repairs. This causes production downtime, frustration and costly losses in productivity.
- Energy Savings — In cold climates, a proper weld fume ventilation system can significantly reduce your energy costs by recycling filtered air and lowering the need for costly makeup air.
- Modular construction – easy to build and assemble in limitless sizes and configurations
- Tested to meet NFPA & ATEX standards
- Available with numerous explosion protection options
- Exceeds OSHA mandates for factory air quality
- Less pulsing of filter cartridges is necessary, so the filters last longer and require less changeouts
- Smaller footprints are possible because each unit handles more airflow
- Ships in as few pieces as possible for fast delivery
- Easy installation, operation and maintenance
- Built on 20 years of reliable field dust collection performance
- Gold Cone??X-Flo filter cartridge contains 375 square feet of media, offering the industry’s highest air-to-cloth ratio
LET US HELP YOU FIND A SOLUTION
ZEPHYR III PORTABLE FUME COLLECTOR
The Zephyr III is ideal for industrial process contamination, source capture, and any production facility requiring periodic dust collection at various locations. The Zephyr is a portable air cleaner for capturing welding fumes, grinding dusts, soldering fumes, and other airborne particles. It is not suitable for explosive dusts and solvent fumes.
- Three-stage filtration
- Easy-access dust drawer
- 360o capture hood positioning
- Pulse cleaning. Manually activated, and venturi-assisted.
- Plug-n-play: just supply electrical and compressed air connections.